Magnesium - Uses, Benefits, Sources
Magnesium plays the vital role in the generation of ATP in our body. It also plays the role of enzyme co factors and supposed to regulate more than 300 biochemical reaction in the body. Magnesium comes under the category of macro minerals so unlike the other trace elements it is required in the large amounts. Magnesium is considered as the second most abundant element in the human cells. It is responsible to perform the countless functions inside the cells of body. Magnesium exists in the different forms; most accessible and easily absorbed form is the magnesium chloride.
Benefits Of Magnesium
- Bone health - Magnesium plays an important role in the bone formation as it helps in the incorporation of calcium into bones. Intake of magnesium improves the bone density and reduces the risk of Osteoporosis in the women. It also helps in the activation of vitamin D.
- Diabetes - It involves in the carbohydrate and glucose metabolism. It is helpful to improve the impaired insulin secretion and thus quite effective for diabetes.
- Heart health -It helps to maintain the healthy levels of lipids in body. Hence it supports the good health of heart.
- Premenstrual syndrome -Magnesium helps to provide relief in symptoms associated with the premenstrual syndrome like insomnia, bloating, swelling in legs, breast tenderness and weight gain.
- Electrolyte balance -It helps to maintain the healthy balance of minerals like calcium, sodium and potassium.
Health Risks Of High Intake Of Magnesium
High consumption of magnesium results in the various health complication in the individuals. Over dose of magnesium may result in the kidney damage. Excess magnesium causes the impairment of central nervous system which results in paralysis. High intake of magnesium may also results in diarrhea which is further associated with nausea, vomiting and abdominal cramps.
Deficiency Of Magnesium
As already discussed magnesium is an important mineral for the several body functions.
DEFICIENCY OF MAGNESIUM RESULTS IN THE VARIOUS HEALTH ISSUES WHICH ARE GIVEN BELOW:-
- Muscle cramps
- High blood pressure
- Weakness in body
- Potassium deficiency
- Chest pain
- Irregular heart beat
- Deficiency of calcium
Food Sources Of Magnesium
Green leafy vegetables like spinach, legumes and broccoli are the good source of magnesium. Whole grains, brown rice, black beans, oatmeal, carrot, banana, milk, avocado, cereal, peanuts, banana, almonds, black beans, milk, soymilk and yogurt also contain the significant amounts of magnesium.
Daily Intake Recommendation Of Magnesium
- For 0-6 months requirement is 30mg (milligrams)
- For 7-12 months requirement is 75mg.
- For 1-3 years requirement is 80mg.
- For 4-8 years requirement is 130mg.
- For 9-13 years requirement is 240 mg.
- For Males 14 to 18 years magnesium requirement is 410mg.
- For males 19-30 years magnesium requirement is 400 mg.
- For males 31 years magnesium requirement is 420 mg.
- For females 14 to 18 years magnesium requirement is 360 mg.
- For females 19-30 years magnesium requirement is 310 mg.
- For females above 31 years magnesium requirement is 320 mg.
- For pregnant mothers magnesium requirement is 350mg.
- For lactating mothers magnesium requirement is 310 mg.