HOME REMEDIES FOR DRY MOUTH
Dry mouth situation is the result of the decrease in the flow of saliva or modifications in the salivary composition. The major causes are depression, excessive consumption of alcohol, snoring, smoking and stress. Certain medicinal therapies also eventually give rise to the dry mouth situation. This situation is medically termed as "Xerostomia".
EFFECTIVE HOME REMEDIES
Lemon juice has stimulating action on the saliva secretion. It also provides relief from the various signs and symptoms of this disorder.
- Take a lemon and cut it into two halves.
- Extract the juice of half lemon and add it to a glass of water.
- Add some amount of honey to the solution.
- Drink this solution on a regular basis.
Aloe Vera has protective action in preventing the condition of xerostomia
- Take an aloe vera leaf and extract the gel out of it.
- Mix the gel in a cup of water.
- Rinse the dry mouth with this juice for a couple of times regularly.
- Also, you can apply the Aloe Vera gel with a cotton swab across the mouth. Keep for a few minutes and then wash with cold water.
This helps to get rid of the dry mouth condition to a significant extent.
Ginger is highly effective in treating the condition of dry mouth. It has a stimulating action on the salivary glands and also helps in refreshing the condition ofo bad breath.
- Cut a ginger into a few pieces.
- Chew the raw pieces on a slower rate directly. Do this for a couple of times daily to enjoy the benefits.
- Consume a lot of fluid daily to prevent dehydration and dryness.
- Quit smoking.
- Gargle regularly with warm water wiith added salt in it.
- Increase the intake of food items, which are rich in the water content.
- Clean your toungue and teeth regularly.
Cayenne pepper stimulates saliva production which is why it is one of the best home remedies for dry mouth. Besides this, it is a taste-bud booster which helps you distinguish between sour, sweet, bitter and salty flavors. For this, you can take some cayenne pepper on your finger and rub it around your tongue. You can also experience a burning sensation for some time but it will be effective in treating dry mouth.
Fennel seeds contain flavonoids which stimulates saliva production. Besides this, it enhances the flavor of your mouth and treats bad breath. All you need to do is munch on these seeds after your meals or as often as you want.
Cardamom is another effective home remedy for dry mouth. Chewing a pod of cardamom can be very effective in treating dry mouth for you. For this you can chew a pod of cardamom every day after your meals or rinse your mouth with some cardamom tea.
- Drink water frequently to keep your mouth moist and loosen mucus. Carry water with you to sip throughout the day and keep water by your bed at night.
- Moisten foods with broths, soups, sauces, gravy, creams, and butter or margarine. Eat soft, moist foods that are cool or at room temperature.
- Avoid commercial mouth rinses or mouthwashes that contain alcohol or peroxide. These ingredients will further dry out your mouth.
- Cut back on eating spicy or salty foods. These may cause pain in a dry mouth.
- Avoid salty foods, dry foods (for example, crackers, toast, cookies, dry breads, dry meats/poultry/fish, dried fruit, bananas) and foods and beverages with high sugar content.
- Quit smoking.
- Apply a moisturizer on your lips to reduce irritation.
- Use a humidifier to increase the humidity in your home, especially at night.