Chandrashoor (Lepidium Sativum) - Uses & Health Benefits
Chandrashoor is very effective herb of Ayurveda that belongs to mustard family. Seeds and leaves are used to prepare various Ayurveda medications. This beneficial herb is used to pacify vata and kapha dosha. According to Ayurveda text this herb is used to prepare chaturbeeja that possesses anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties.
Seeds of this beneficial herb is richest source of dietary fibre and it is very effective analgesic, diuretic, emmenagogue and galactogouge in nature. This herb contains various important amino acids and flavonoids that are used to treat gout, diarrhoea, skin disease, eye disorder and hiccups. It is very effective remedy for osteoporosis and other bones related problems. It is also beneficial for male and female reproductive system.
Lepidium sativum is annually growing plant that grows up to 80cm in height. Upper part of stem is branched, glabrous and bluish green in colour. Plant contains alternate, compound and simple leaves. Flowers are white to pale pink in colour and flowering season of the plant is June to august. Small and oval shaped fruits are reddish brown in colour and pointed at the ends. Seeds are about 2mm long and 1.5mm in width.
Basically lepidium sativum is native to Mediterranean regions. Now it is cultivated throughout India and west Asia. In India it is mainly cultivated in Rajasthan, U.P, Gujarat, Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh.
- Latin Name - Lepidium Sativum
- English Name - Aliv Seeds, Garden Cress, Garden Pepper Cress
- Hindi Name - Chansoor, Chandrashoor
- Sanskrit Name - Chandrika, Bhadra, Nadini, Karvi
- Bengali Name - Halim Shaak
- Kannada Name - Alavi Beeja
- Gujarati Name - Asheliyo
- Tamil Name - Alivirai
- Telugu Name - Adeli
- Assamese Name - Halim
- Kashmiri Name - Alian
- Malayalam Name - Asali
- Punjabi Name - Halium
- Oriya Name - Hidamba Safa
- Farsi Name - Sipandan
- Arabian Name - Habburshad
- Spanish Name - Lepido
- French Name - Cresson De Fontaine
- Urdu Name - Halim
- German Name - Gartenkresse
- Russian Name - Kress-Salat
- Italian Name - Agretto
- Indonesian Name - Alim
- Persian Name - Haleh
According To Bhavprakash Nighantu
Chandrika, charmhatri, pahumehankarika, nandini, karvi, bhadra, vaspushpa and suvasura are the various synonyms of herb Chandrashoor. It helps to pacify vata and kapha dosha. It is good herb for treating diarrhoea, hiccups and gout. It helps to give nutrition and used to improve strength and immunity.
The bhavprakash nighantu with elaborated Hindi commentary of Padamshri Prof Krishna chander chunnekar and edited by Dr. Gangasahay pandey: edition 2010; page number - 38 and verse number - 96 and 97.
Uses Of Chandrashoor (Lepidium Sativum)
- Chandrashoor is very effective herb and its decoction is used to treat hiccups. Regular intake of its decoction after regular intervals of times is also beneficial for treating diarrhoea and dysentery.
- Chandrashoor along with coconut is used for nutrition e and it is good rasyana and helps to increase volume of milk in lactating mothers. It is also good for treating leucorrhoea in women. Pure extract boiled in milk is used to induce abortion.
- Local application of this herbs helps to relieve severe pain and inflammation of joints.
- In post-partum period this herb is very effective for rejuvenating body cells.
- Powder of sugar (mishri) and Chandrashoor seeds are very effective remedy for treating severe stomach ache, diarrhoea and dysentery.
- Paste of Chandrashoor powder with lemon is applied locally to treat gout, rheumatoid, joint pain and internal inflammation of joints.
- Leaves are utejak and mutral and very beneficial for treating partidaad (scurvy).
Health Benefits Of Chandrashoor (Lepidium Sativum)
- Rasayana - Chandrashoor is rasayana in nature according to Ayurveda. It helps to rejuvenate body cells and it helps to maintain the molecular level of cells and body organs.
- Balya - It helps to stimulate immunity and to strengthen both physical and mental strength. It helps to maintain the proper production ojus by nourishing dhatus in body.
- Utejak - It is used as appetizer and stimulant for digestive system.
- Dugdhavardhak - Seeds of Chandrashoor are galactogouge in nature due to this property this herb is used to increase the volume of milk in lactating mothers.
- Shoolhara - It is also very effective herb for reducing severe pain.
- Vata Rakta dosha - It is used to treat gout and also used to relieve pain and inflammation of joints.
- Tawak roga - It is also used to treat various skin disorders.
- Netra roga - Chandrashoor is also very effective herb for treating various eye related disorders.
- Yakrit and paleeha roga - Seeds of this herb possesses various medicinal properties that are used to treat various disorders associated with liver and spleen.
- Parsuta vayvastha -It is also very beneficial for managing post-partum problems.
Medicinal Properties Of Chandrashoor (Lepidium Sativum)
- Chandrashoor possesses various medicinal properties that are equivalent to estrogen hormone. It is good for both male and female reproductive system. In women firstly it is beneficial for lactating mothers as it helps to increase breast milk and good for treating amenorrhea and other menstruation related problems and used to treat irregular menstruation. In men it is used to improve and increase sperm quality.
- Candershoor is also given to women after delivery because its rejuvenating nature helps to improve and strengthen body stamina and immunity.
- Chandrashoor also helps to restore and improve bone density and it is good for treating fractures and other bone related problems.
- Anti-oxidant nature of this herb helps to fight against various respiratory tract related problems. It helps to fight against cold, cough and serious congestion.
- Its thick and gluey nature helps to sooth irritation of mucosal membrane and fight against various microorganisms that are responsible for causing diarrhoea and dysentery.
- It is also beneficial for treating thyroid related problems.
- It also have blood pressure lowering properties and used to reduce high cholesterol.
- It is used as appetizers and also a good diuretic that helps to aid with several urinary tract problems.
- It helps to increase the flow of blood in genital organs of both males and females.
- It is also good for promoting children health. It is good for treating intestinal worms.
- It is also used for stomach softening and it is used as laxative.
Other Fact About Chandrashoor In Bhavprakash Nighantu
According to bhavprakash nighantu this beneficial herb is included under chaturbeeja. Methi, Chandrashoor, mangrella and ajwain are four beneficial seeds that are mixed together in form and of powder is called cahturbeeja. Regular use of this powder is used to treat vata related disorders, indigestion, severe stomach ache, abdominal distention and used to treat back pain.
The bhavprakash nighantu with elaborated Hindi commentary of Padamshri Prof Krishna chander chunnekar and edited by Dr. Gangasahay pandey: edition 2010; page number - 39 and verse number - 98 and 99.