Arjuna (Terminalia Arjuna) - Properties, Benefits, Uses & Dosage
The arjuna was introduced into siddha by saint Agastiyar through his prose
Gunavakatam and in Ayurveda as a treatment for heart disease by Vagbhata (c. 7th century CE). It is traditionally prepared as a milk decoction. In the Ashtanga
Hridayam but was also mentioned in many ancient Indian vedas, and was a known practice for thousands of years, passed down by tradition, before vagbhata mentioned it
in his writings. Vagbhata mentions arjuna in the treatment of wounds, hemorrhages and ulcers, applied topically as a powder. The Arjuna plant (lat. Terminalia arjuna)
has traditionally been used to treat heart disease for centuries, which is why it got the nickname “Guardian of the heart.” The hero of the famous epic “Mahabharata”,
was named after this tree because of its protective effects.
Active Ingredients of Arjuna Capsule
The active Ingredients of Arjuna extracts are
Triterpenoids and Flavonoids are considered to be responsible for its beneficial antioxidant cardiovascular properties. The drug has shown promising effect on
ischemic cardiomyopathy(Less blood flow in Heart). So far, no serious side effects have been reported with arjuna therapy. Though it has been found quite useful in
angina pectoris (Needle Piercing like pain) , mild hypertension, and dyslipidemia(Cholesterol Imbalance).
ß-sitosterol : It is an anti-hyperlipidemic agent and helps to reduce the bad cholesterol in the blood circulatory system.
Glycosides: Glycosides are widely used in cardiac problems like cardiac arrhythmia, congestive heart failure and coronary heart disease very effectively.
- English Name: White Marudah, Arjun Tree
- Botanical Name: Terminalia Arjuna
- Marathi: Sadura, Arjuna, Arjun Sadada
- Hindi: Arjuna, Arjun, Arjan,Koha, Kahu
- Sanskrit: Dhanvi, Arjuna, Indradruma, Kakubha, Pandava, Phalguna, Karvirak.
Characteristics of Arjuna
- Trees can be 25 meter of height
- Grey and Smooth Bark
- Sub-opposite leaves with different characteristics like oblong or elliptic
oblong, glabrous, often inequilateral, margin often crenulate, apex obtuse or sub-acute base rounded or sometimes cordate. It's size measures 5–14 × 2–4.5
- 0.5–1.2cm Petioles
- Two Glands with small and white flowers
- 2.3–3.5 cm long fruits, fibrous woody, glabrous with 5 hard wings, striated with
numerous curved veins. Flowering time April–July in Indian conditions. Seeds hard germination 50–76 days (50–60%)
Classification of Arjuna
- Kingdom : Plantae
- Division : Magnoliophyta
- Class : Magnoliopsida
- Order : Myrtales
- Family : Combretaceae
- Genus : Terminalia
- Species: T. arjuna
- Zoological name : Terminalia arjuna
Habitat of Terminalia Arjuna
Terminalia Arjuna is a deciduous tree (about 60-70 feet height), is abundantly found in India and Ceylon, also in Myanmar and Sri Lanka.
Uses & Effectiveness
- Dyslipidemia: One capsules twice daily.
- Cardiac Arrhythmia: One Capsule twice daily.
- Low Blood Pressure: Anjuna Capsules should be taken with
- Spermatorrhoea (Involuntary Ejaculation): According to Shushurt
Sanghita arjuna should be taken with Swet Chandan paste.
- Blood Dysentery: Arjuna should be taken with Goat Milk.
- Blemish(Black mark on the Face): Open the capsules, mix the
Arjuna dust with honey and apply it on the black mark.
One capsules twice Daily.
Side Effects & Safety
Terminalia arjuna is POSSIBLY SAFE when taken by mouth for 3 months or less. But don't use Terminalia arjuna without consult to your doctor. It might affect your
Ayurvedic Properties of Arjuna
||Plasma, blood, bone, reproductive
Precaution & Warnings
Bibhitika/Bahera should be avoided while the patient use Arjuna. Other precaution you need before taking Arjuna:
- Pregnancy: During Pregnancy, Terminalia arjuna should not be
used. It's best to avoid using any terminalia species.
- Breast-feeding: If you are breast-feeding, it's best to stay
away from Arjuna.
- Diabetes: Terminalia might lower blood sugar levels. Your
diabetes medications might need to be adjusted by your doctor.
- Surgery: Terminalia might lower blood sugar and interfere with
blood sugar control during surgery.If you going for a scheduled surgery, you should stop taking terminalia before 2 weeks atleast.