Aak, Madar (Calotropis Gigantea)
According to Ayurveda, the plant madar is known as Aak. Aak is a
medical plant which is native to Africa, Asia and China. It is also found in most part of world with warm climate, dry, alkaline and sandy soil. Aak is considered as a
scared plant in India and is used in sun-worshipping ceremonies.It is commonly available in two varieties that is Calotropis procera (purple-flowered) and Calotropis
Calotropis procera is a large shrub growing to 4 m (13 ft) tall. It has clusters of waxy flowers that are either white or lavender in color. The plant has oval,
light green leaves and milky stem. The latex of Calotropis gigantea contains cardiac glycosides, fatty acids, and calcium oxalate.
For the medicinal purpose Calotropis gigantea is preferred. The latex or milky discharge of the plant has abortifacient (causing abortion), spasmogenic and
carminative, anti-dysentric, anti-syphilitic, anti-rheumatic, antifungal, diaphoretic properties and used in the treatment of leprosy, bronchial asthma and skin
diseases. The root bark powder is traditionally used for getting relief in diarrhea and dysentery. The root of the plant are carminative and useful in indigestion.
Properties of Aak
This wonderful herb is known to have the following properties:
Benefits of Aak flowers are as follows:
- Helps cure skin problems: Madar helps treat skin diseases.
- Shows good vermifuge action: You can get rid of worms in the
intestine by using the preparations made from this Madar herb.
- Balances dosha: The Arka flower can balance the kaphadosha.
- Relief from toxins: The madar herb shows good protective action
- Control diarrhoea: If you suffer from loose motion, you can
control it through the Madar herb.
- Treat bleeding disorders: You can correct and cure bleeding
disorders by using this Arka herb.
- Helps improve intestinal health: You get relief from bloating by
taking the preparations of this Aak herb.
- English: Madar, Giant Milk-weed, Roostertree, Mudar plant
- Sanskrit: Alarka, Rajaarka, Shvetarka, Vasuka, Mandaar,Bhasvanmuula, Dinesh,
- Unani: Madaar, Aak
- Siddha/Tamil: Erukku
- Arabic: Oshar
- French: Calotrope, Pomme de Sodome
- German: Wahre Mudarpflanzer, Gomeiner
- Italian: Calotropo
- Spanish: Algodon extranjero, Cazuela
- Turkish: Ipekag
Classification of Aak, Madar
- Kingdom Plantae – Plants
- Subkingdom Tracheobionta – Vascular plants
- Superdivision Spermatophyta – Seed plants
- Division Magnoliophyta – Flowering plants
- Class Magnoliopsida – Dicotyledons
- Subclass - Asteridae
- Order - Gentianales
- Family Asclepiadaceae – Milkweed family
Habitat of Aak, Madar
This plant is native to India, Sri Lanka, Thailand, the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, Cambodia, tropical Africa, Nepal, Pakistan, and China. One can find in
open areas, wastelands, and arid areas throughout in India.
Uses & Effectiveness
- It cures medical conditions: Arka finds a use for treating
conditions such as excessive salivation.
- Correct Eating Disorders: People use Arka to treat
- Treat piles: You can treat hemorrhoids with this Madar herb.
Apply the latex on the piles topically. Find home remedies for piles.
- Good for the digestive system: Arka is light and easy to digest
and improves digestive strength.
- Carminative Effect: You can cure the gas in the intestines with
this Arka plant extract.
- It improves sexual health: The Madar plant extract preparations
make tonics for sexual health. People use this herb as an aphrodisiac.
- Good for coughs: You get relief from coughs and asthma by using
the Arka herb. It is a good expectorant and finds use in treating respiratory disorders.
Effect on Doshas
Suprsses Vata & Kapha
Bio Energetics of Aak, Madar
||Laghu, Ruksha, Tikshna
Side Effects of Aak, Madar
Stop using Aak and call your doctor at once if you have:
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding: It’s Not safe to use calotropis during pregnancy