Ayurvedic Treatment Of Dysphagia
Dysphagia or Difficulty swallowing occurs when you need more time and effort to move food or
swallow food from your mouth to stomach. For some case, patient can't swallow their food. It can caused by nerve or muscle problems and effect of this is very
Dysphagia can occur at any age,but it's mainly common in older people and babies.
Types of Dysphagia
There are three general types of dysphagia:
- Oral Dysphagia (high dysphagia): It occurs due to a neurological problem that has
weakened your tongue, causing difficulty for chewing food or food transporting from the mouth.
- Esophageal Dysphagia (low dysphagia): Due to blockage or irritation your food or
liquid stops in the esophagus. Sometimes, surgical procedure is required.
- Pharyngeal dysphagia: It occurs when you face some issue in the throat often
caused by a neurological problem that affects the nerves. Parkinson's disease, stroke, or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis are the main reason for this.
Common Causes Of Dysphagia
- Stroke:— If the brain cells that control swallowing are die due
to lack of oxygen, can causes dysphagia.
- Parkinson's disease and Parkinsonism syndromes:— Parkinson's
disease is a gradually progressive, degenerative neurological disorder that impairs the patient's motor skills.
- Radiation:— Patients having radiation therapy to the neck might
have some issue with swallowing difficulties.
- Esophageal spasm:- If the muscles of the esophagus suddenly
squeeze, causes prevention of food from reaching the stomach.
- Achalasia:— lower esophageal muscle does not relax enough to
allow food into the stomach.
- Scleroderma:— a group of rare autoimmune diseases where the skin
and connective tissues become tighter and harden.
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis:— an incurable form of progressive
neurodegeneration; over time, the nerves in the spine and brain progressively lose function.
- Multiple sclerosis:— the central nervous system is attacked by
the immune system, destroying myelin, which normally protects the nerves.
- Cleft lip and palate:— types of abnormal developments of the
face due to incomplete fusing of bones in the head, resulting in gaps (clefts) in the palate and lip to nose area.
- Diverticula:- These are small sacs in the walls of the esophagus
or the throat.
Some Symptoms Of Dysphagia
Dysphagia can come and go, be mild or severe, or get worse over time. If you have dysphagia, you may:
- Having pain while getting food or liquids to go down on the first try.
- Gag, choke, or cough when eating.
- Have food or liquids come back up through your throat, mouth, or nose after you
- Having the sensation of food getting stuck in your throat or chest or behind your
- Recurrent pneumonia.
- Inability to control saliva in the mouth.
- Bringing food back up (regurgitation)
- Having frequent heartburn
- Unexpectedly losing weight
Complications Related To Dysphagia
Dysphagia can lead to some Complications:
- Malnutrition:- If not treated, Dysphagia can cause some serious health problem
like Malnutrition. Dysphagia can make it difficult to take in adequate nourishment and fluids.
- Aspiration pneumonia:- Sometimes food or liquid enters the lungs when you try to
swallow, aspiration pneumonia can occur. It can introduce bacteria to the lungs.
- Choking:- When food gets stuck in the throat, choking can occur. If food
completely blocks the airway, and no one intervenes with a successful Heimlich maneuver, death can occur.
- Dehydration:- Dehydration cause if fluid intake of an individual not sufficient.
People having dysphagia can't drink properly.
Tips To Prevent Dysphagia
Although swallowing difficulties can't be prevented, you can reduce your risk of occasional difficulty swallowing by eating slowly and chewing your food well. Early
detection and effective treatment of GERD can lower your risk of developing dysphagia associated with an esophageal stricture.
Herbal Remedies For Dysphagia
Dhanvantary provides some herbal remedies for the treatment of Dysphagia. Made from best quality herbs this remedies strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda. All
these herbal remedies of dhanvantary are 100 percent pure, natural and vegetarian. These are free from chemicals, additives and preservatives. These are safe to use as
these are free from side effects.