AYURVEDIC TREATMENT OF DANDRUFF
WHAT IS DANDRUFF?
Dandruff is a common condition of the scalp that causes white flakes on the collar of your dark
shirt or blouse. It is often occur by itching. Although dandruff isn't contagious or serious, it can be embarrassing and difficult to treat. Mild dandruff can be
treated with a gentle daily shampoo. If that doesn't work, a medicated shampoo may help. Symptoms may return later.
Dandruff is considered to be a mild form of seborrheic dermatitis. In babies, seborrheic dermatitis is called cradle cap.
KEY FACTS ON DANDRUFF
The four key features of dandruff are:
- Dandruff is a common condition, but it can be embarrassing and difficult to
- White skin flakes on any hair-bearing parts of the body
- White flakes on clothes
- Scaly skin by the eyebrows, ears, and nose
- Itchy or scaly scalp
- It is not related to hygiene, but washing and brushing the hair can help remove
old skin flakes.
WHAT CAN BE THE CAUSES OF DANDRUFF?
The exact cause of dandruff is unknown. Possible causes and associations include:
- Seborrheic Dermatitis: In this type, your skin become oily,itchy
and irritated which flakes off on your scalp. It also can happen with your eyebrows, groin, or chest hair.
- Contact Dermatitis: Hair grooming products like shampoo, gel, or
dye can irritate your scalp and cause redness, itchiness, and flakes.
- A yeastlike fungus (malassezia) that feeds on oils on the scalps of most adults
- Other skin conditions, such as psoriasis
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF DANDRUFF?
Dermatologists commonly refer to dandruff as seborrhea or seborrheic dermatitis. The signs and symptoms include:
- White flakes on your scalp, hair, eyebrows, beard or mustache, and shoulders
- Itchy scalp
- Scaly, crusty scalp in infants with cradle cap
- Facial rash over eyebrows, nose, and ears
- Recurrent ear "eczema"
- Oily scalp and facial skin with dry flakes
- Eyebrow rash
- Beard rash
- Chest rash with dry flakes and red spots
- The signs and symptoms may be more severe if you're stressed, and they tend to
flare in cold, dry seasons.
RISK FACTORS OF DANDRUFF
Almost anyone can have dandruff, but certain factors can make you more susceptible:
- Age. Dandruff usually begins in young adulthood and continues through middle age.
That doesn't mean older adults don't get dandruff. For some people, the problem can be lifelong.
- Being male. Because more men have dandruff, some researchers think male hormones
may play a role.
- Certain illnesses. Parkinson's disease and other diseases that affect the nervous
system also seem to increase risk of dandruff. So does having HIV or a weakened immune system.
DANDRUFF IN AYURVEDA
In Ayurveda, dandruff is categorized as a Kshudra Roga, caused by an imbalance of all three doshas. Kapha and Vata are the primary doshas that cause this problem. While Kapha represents softness and stickiness, Vata can be dry and rough. In an advance state, Vata-Kapha cause impurities to accumulate in the deep tissues of the scalp leading to this issue which is dry and sticky in nature. Contamination of the deep tissues and heightened Vata-Kapha causes the scalp to shed a higher amount of dead epidermal cells than is normal, which is dandruff.
HERBAL REMEDIES FOR DANDRUFF
Dhanvantary provides some herbal remedies like AMLAKI RASAYAN SYRUP, AMLA JUICE for the treatment of skin problem like dandruff. Made from best quality herbs this remedies strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda. All these herbal remedies of dhanvantary are 100 percent pure, natural and vegetarian. These are free from chemicals, additives and preservatives. These are safe to use as these are free from side effects.