AYURVEDIC TREATMENT OF BIPOLAR DISORDER
ABOUT BIPOLAR DISORDER
Bipolar disorder or manic depression is a mental illness that develops depression and abnormal elevated moods. The elevated mood is significant and is known as mania, or hypomania. They can also include episodes of depression. During mania, an individual may have trouble managing everyday life tasks at school or work, or maintaining relationships. Their behaviour can be abnormal or irritable.
There’s no cure for this type of disorder, but there are many treatment options available that can help to manage the symptoms. Bipolar disorder mainly occurs between the ages of 15 and 25 years, but it can affects males and females equally at any age.
Types of Bipolar Disorder
There are some basic types of bipolar disorder:
- Bipolar I Disorder— This type of disorder is also known as manic-depressive disorder which last at least 7 days. Bipolar I Disorder can cause a manic episode in people's life. During manic episode, patients can behave abnormal and their mood can be abnormally elevated. Sometimes patients needs immediate hospital care.
- Bipolar II Disorder— Bipolar II disorder is another form of disorder which can cause unusual mood shifts and changes in energy and activity levels. In Bipolar II disorder a cycles of depressive episodes followed by hypomanic periods can occur.
- Cyclothymic Disorder- It is also known as cyclothymia characteristics by short periods of hypomanic symptoms and depressive symptoms which lasted for 2 years. People with cyclothymic disorder have less symptoms than occur in full-blown bipolar disorder.
Causes of Bipolar Disorder
Bipolar disorder does not happen for a single cause, but several factors may be involved, such as:
- Genetics- Bipolar disorder can happen in people who have a first-degree relative, such as a sibling or parent. Researchers are trying to find genes that may be involved in causing bipolar disorder.
- Biological differences- Patients with bipolar disorder usually feel physical changes in their brains, but the link remains unclear.
- Hormonal problems- Hormonal imbalances might trigger or cause bipolar disorder.
Environmental factors: Some Environmental issue such as Abuse, mental stress, a "significant loss," or some other traumatic event might trigger bipolar disorder.
Symptoms of bipolar disorder can vary between people,according to their mood. There are three main symptoms of bipolar disorder:
Mania and Hypomania
Symptoms of a manic and a hypomanic episode include three or more of these symptoms:
- Abnormally upbeat, jumpy or wired
- Excessive happiness, hopefulness, and excitement
- Increased activity, energy or agitation
- Rapid speech and poor concentration
- Less Needs for Sleep
- Abnormally high sex drive
- Poor decision-making
- Unusual talkativeness
During depressive periods ("the lows"), a person with bipolar disorder may have:
- Depressed mood or sadness
- Loss of interest or energy
- Increased need for sleep
- Fatigue or loss of energy
- Planning Death
- Attempting suicide
Risk factors of Bipolar Disorder
Many factors that may increase the risk of developing bipolar disorder include:
- Drug or alcohol abuse
- Having a first-degree relative, such as a parent or sibling, with bipolar disorder
- Periods of high stress, such as the death of a loved one or other traumatic event
Herbal Remedies For Bipolar Disorder
Dhanvantary provides some herbal remedies like Brahmi Tablet for the treatment of Bipolar Disorder. Made from best quality herbs this remedies strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda. All these herbal remedies of dhanvantary are 100 percent pure, natural and vegetarian. These are free from chemicals, additives and preservatives. These are safe to use as these are free from side effects.