AYURVEDIC TREATMENT OF URINARY TRACT INFECTIONS (UTI)
Here we are discussing about urinary tract infections. These days it has become major problem of women as compare to men. Pregnant women are vulnerable to these infections than other women. It is important to concern a doctor because it leads to serious health complications like damage to kidney, low weight of infants and sepsis. So proper medications are required. But it has been observed that Allopathic medicines result in serious health side effects. Here is a solution for the people who are suffering from the side effects of Allopathic medicines, YES we are talking about Ayurveda. Ayurveda is an ancient science in India for the treatment of diseases without any side effects.
WHAT ARE UNRINARY TRACT INFECTIONS (UTI)?
Infections that occur in kidney, urethra and bladder are called as urinary tract infections. These infections are caused by bacteria like Klebsiella, Enterococcus, Staphylococcus and Proteus. Sexually transmitted organisms like Chlamydia trachomatis and Neisseria gonorrhea are also responsible for urinary tract infections. Women are more vulnerable to UTI than men because the urethra in women is shorter as compare to men.
CAUSES OF URINARY TRACT INFECTIONS
- Main cause of urinary tract infections are bacteria which reside around anus. During infection these bacteria can move to urethra further to bladder and spread into kidneys.
- Sexual intercourses are also responsible for urinary tract infections.
- To avoid pregnancy, women use the diaphragm that also can lead to these infections.
- Some complications like menopause and spinal cord injury are also associated with urinary tract infections.
- It has been observed that immune compromised patients (HIV/Diabetes) are more prone to these infections.
- Unhygienic conditions like improper washing of hands also increase the chances of urinary tract infections.
- Hospitals are also major cause of urinary tract infections. There is a diagnostic method named as catheterization, in which a tube is inserted into urethra for people who have problems during urinating.
SYMPTOMS OF URINARY TRACT INFECTIONS
- Urination after short periods of time.
- There is a burning sensation during urination.
- Urine color may be red or light pink.
- There is a strong smell in urine.
- In severe cases, when infection reaches up to kidneys, one can feel fever and chills.
ACCORDING TO AYURVEDA WHAT CAN BE THE CAUSE OF URINARY TRACT INFECTIONS?
In Ayurveda it is believed that there are three energies vata, pitta and kapha in the body which are responsible for the good health. Urinary tract infections are due to the imbalance of pitta dosha. These infections result in various complications like inflammation of urethra, infection in bladder and kidneys. There are various herbs present in Ayurveda which help in healing of these urinary tract infections.
WHAT TO BE TAKEN?
- One should drink plenty of water because it helps in flushing out the bacteria which are responsible for urinary tract infections.
- Consume the foods which are rich in vitamin C like amla, oranges, tomatoes and grapes. These fruits help to make urine acidic. It helps to inhibit the growth of bacteria which are associated with urinary tract infections.
- It has been observed that cranberry juice also helps to reduce the urinary tract infections.
- Take high fiber food in your diet.
- Include probiotics in your diet like yogurt because they contain the bifid bacteria and lactobacilli. These are the beneficial microorganisms that help to strengthen the urinary tract.
FOODS TO BE AVOIDED
- Avoid carbonated drinks and caffeine.
- Stop alcohol consumption.
- Avoid smoking.
- Stop eating spicy food items.
- Stay away from artificial sweeteners.
- Don't consume cookies, cakes and starchy products.
Some changes are also required in our daily life to get rid from these infections like maintain proper hygiene, wear cotton garments and use good quality personal hygiene products.