Natural Treatment Of Trigeminal Neuralgia
Neuralgia is a condition of a sudden, painful attack as a result of a change in neurological structure or function due to irritation or damage to the nerves without stimulating pain receptor cells which affects the cranial nerves. The severe pain or mild burning sensation may occur on the face and inside the mouth.
IT IS BROADLY CLASSIFIED INTO FOUR TYPES:
- Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Glossopharyngeal Neuralgia
- Occipital Neuralgia
- Post herpetic Neuralgia
About Trigeminal Neuralgia
Trigeminal neuralgia or tic douloureux is a most common form of neuralgia that occurs due to the inflammation or compression of trigeminal nerve by an artery or a vein that frequently causes severe facial pain. It mostly affects the elderly people and generally affects right side of the face. The facial pain may occur after every few hours, minutes and seconds.
(Trigeminal nerve is the fifth and largest cranial nerve that is responsible for facial sensation and transmit the sensation from the brain to mouth, teeth, face and nose.)
Causes Of Trigeminal Neuralgia
Though the exact cause of trigeminal neuralgia is idiopathic or unknown, according to some research it is caused due to traumatic damage to the nerves which passes from the skull and reaches to the tissues and muscles of the face. The damage to these nerves results in compression of the nerve which leads to the symptoms.
OTHER CAUSES YOU MAY SEE AND FEEL ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- Biological changes in nerve
- When an abnormal blood vessel, aneurysms or tumor constricts the nerve which exits from the brain it causes trigeminal neuralgia.
- The excessive nervous activity from a damaged nerve causes the painful attacks.
- Some kind of inflammatory ailments such as multiple sclerosis, sarcoidosis and lyme disease can also be a reason for trigeminal neuralgia
- Due to accident or trauma which damages the nerves or compresses the nerves may also lead to this disease.
- Tongue piercing is also a reason of trigeminal neuralgia.
- Touching the skin lightly
- Brushing teeth
- Blowing the nose
- Drinking hot or cold beverages
- Encountering a light breeze
- Applying cosmetics
Symptoms Of Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Occasional twinges of mild to moderate pain
- Onset of severe, shooting, throbbing pain like electric shock
- Bouts of pain lasting from a few seconds to several days, weeks, months or longer
- Pain focused in one spot or spread in a wider pattern
- Attacks becoming more frequent and intense over time
- Pain affecting one side of your face at a time
- Pain in areas managed by the trigeminal nerve, including the cheek, jaw, teeth, gums, lips, or less often the eye and forehead
Complications Of Trigeminal Neuralgia
- The pain can be severe and distressing. If untreated, pain may cause depression. Irritation or anxiety.
- Patient may neglect brushing teeth or eating or drinking due to the fear of triggering the pain. This can lead to weight loss, weakness and poor oral hygiene.
- In most cases where neuralgia is caused due to pressure from a blood vessel, there are no complications affecting the trigeminal nerve or affecting the brain.
- In rare cases where trigeminal neuralgia occurs as a result of another condition, then various other symptoms and problems of that condition may develop. For example, as mentioned, a rare cause of neuralgia is multiple sclerosis. In this situation, other symptoms and problems associated with multiple sclerosis are likely to develop.
Trigeminal neuralgia is correlated to Anantvaat in Ayurveda. This is a typical vata vyadhi means vata among all three doshas is aggravated and cause blockage of channels around face and head.
- Prepare fresh juice of carrot. Carrot is a rich source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B5 and folic acid. Drink this juice at least once a day.
- Almond has Vitamin B, Vitamin E and antioxidants in large quantity. It helps nervous systems and ensures synthesis of hormones and enzymes for proper functioning of neural system. Almond milk can be taken be taken daily.
- Prefer eggs, fruit juice, leafy green vegetables, milk, whole grains, mint leaves etc.
- Use three to four cloves of garlic with olive oil and take it two times daily. This will surely reduce swelling and increase blood circulation in the body
- Drink turmeric half tsp in a glass of lukewarm milk daily once or twice.
- Totally avoid all kind of junk and packed foods.
- Apply castor oil on your affected facial region to prevent swelling and treating the damaged muscles. This oil is also beneficial to improve the elasticity of the skin.