Herbal Remedies For Menorrhagia (Heavy Menstrual Bleeding)
Menorrhagia is related to menstrual period in which women experience heavy menstrual bleeding and is called as abnormal uterine bleeding. This is different from normal periods as in this a person cannot continue daily activities due to severe blood loss and cramps.
In the process of menstrual cycle, there is a loss of blood every 28-35 days from the uterus due to expulsion of the inner lining of the uterus known as endometrium. This process sets off at puberty in females and continues till menopause in the mid-40s to 50s.
The things that effect our menstrual cycle are diet, Hormonal changes, lifestyle, sleep pattern and health issues. These factors also effect the body.
The normal blood flow during menstrual cycle is 30-40 ml per cycle and if this increases, it reaches to 60-80 ml per cycle. This results in heavy bleeding which give rise to the condition known as Menorrhagia.
Causes Of Menorrhagia
- Hormonal imbalance: There are two main hormones that regulates the functioning of the vagina namely Estrogen and Progesterone. These two hormones build up the lining of uterus and that lining is shed during the menstruation cycle. The imbalance in the hormones may lead to excessive development of endometrium.
- Ovary dysfunction: Sometimes, the ovary does not ovulate and the body does not produce the hormone progesterone. This may also lead to Menorrhagia.
- Uterine fibroids: During the child bearing year, uterine fibroids may occur causing heavy and prolonged bleeding during menstruation cycle.
- Polyps: These are the small growths on the lining of uterus that may cause heavy bleeding.
- Adenomyosis: In this the tissue of endometrium become embedded in the uterine muscle that cause heavy bleeding and painful periods.
- Intrauterine device: This is a birth control device and is considered as a major cause of Pregnancy complications.
Symptoms Of Menorrhagia
- When there is need to use double sanitary protection to control the blood flow
- Symptoms of anemia, tiredness
- Shortness of breath
- Bleeding for more than five days
- Changing tampons after every one hour
- Body ache and malaise
- Prolonged and excessive bleeding
- Abdominal cramps
Diagnosis Of Menorrhagia
- Evaluation of the cervical infection
- Ultrasound can be done to evaluate pelvis organs including the uterus, ovaries and pelvis.
- A fluid is inserted into the uterus to evaluate the uterus for abnormalities. This is called sonohysterogram.
The above stated dosage is prescribed for the females suffering from this particular problem. These are the best herbal remedies that can help to exercise control in better way without the use of any harmful medicines that causes many side effects. Also it is advised to adapt to healthy life style and include some physical activity as these factors have a great impact on this particular problem