AYURVEDIC TREATMENT OF INDIGESTION
Indigestion is considered as discomfort in upper abdomen. People with indigestion problem faces burning sensation in the chest called as heartburn. Indigestion occurs when stomach acid comes in contact with the lining of digestive system. This indigestion causes inflammation, irritation in abdomen and underlying tissues.
SYMPTOMS OF INDIGESTION
- Loss of appetite
- Discomfort and fullness in upper part of abdomen
- Burning sensation in chest
- Bloating and burping
- Blood stools
MAIN CAUSES OF INDIGESTION
- Over eating
- Consumption of alcohol
- Eating fast and spicy food items
- Anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen thyroid medicines and antibiotics
- Eating very fast
- Eating high fat foods
COMPLICATIONS DUE TO INDIGESTION
- Stomach juices cause damage to lining of digestive system due to that problem gastritis happens. Main cause of gastritis is Helicobacter pylori bacteria which can damage the lining of intestine.
- Gallstone problem can occur.
- Stomach ulcers are formed due to over acid production.
- Due to excess production of stomach acid causes Zollinger Ellison disease.
- Over acid production can cause many stomach complications like duodenal ulcers, esophageal ulcers and gastric ulcers.
TECHNIQUES WHICH ARE USED TO DIAGNOSE INDIGESTION
- Ultrasound - Abdominal ultrasound is done to diagnose indigestion. Before taking ultrasound, 2-3 glasses of water are taken by patient so that clear images of internal structures of intestine can formed. In this technique, sound waves are used to examine the areas of stomach.
- Endoscopy - In this technique a device is inserted into stomach through your mouth. This is used to observe upper intestinal area to diagnose the peptic ulcers. In some cases scissors and forceps are attached on endoscope to remove the tissues for the purpose of biopsy
- X-ray –In this technique a special radiograph is used that is barium swallow. This procedure is painless. By this method we can figure out the problems in esophagus. Due to indigestion, changes that occur in esophagus are visualized by X-rays.
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) – This technique provides the excellent view of organs of intestines to identify the intestinal diseases.
- Blood and stool samples can be taken in the case of bacterial infections. Helicobacter pylori are the bacteria that cause damage to lining of intestine and cause indigestion. Presence of this bacterium in the blood and stool, diagnose the indigestion.
CAUSES OF INDIGESTION IN AYURVEDA
In Ayurveda, cause of excess acid production is due to excessive pitta which results - sourness and heat in the body. In ayurveda cause of indigestion is the pitta dosha. Due to this pitta dosha, there is a production of ama in body which causes various stomach complications like nausea, bloating, burping, constipation, stomach ulcers, gastritis and gallstones can occur. In Ayurveda there are many herbs like - Cardamom, Clove, Garlic, Ginger, and Fennel etc. which helps to eliminate toxins from the body. According to Ayurveda problem of indigestion can be solved by having healthy and balanced diet.
HERBAL REMEDIES FOR INDIGESTION BY dhanvantary
All Medecines herbal remedies of dhanvantary are 100 percent pure, natural and vegetarian. These are free from chemicals, additives and preservatives. These are safe to use as these are free from side effects.
- Eat probiotic rich foods.
- Drinking plenty of water in a day can reduce the indigestion.
- Use of low fat foods.
- Green leafy vegetables should be taken in diet.
- Avoid junk foods.
- Intake of pulses and potatoes can reduce indigestion.
- Stop having those food products which have high levels of acid like citrus fruits.
- Beverages which have high levels of caffeine should be avoided.
- Small meals should be taken.
- Drinking lemon juice helps to eliminate the toxins from body.
- Orange juice helps to increase the beneficial microflora of intestine and increase the indigestion.
- Pineapple juice contains the digestive enzymes which give the relief in stomach upset.
- Papaya contains proteases, which helps to reduce the indigestion.